Karnataka govt again asks Guv to summon Legislature session
Bangalore: To mount pressure on Governor HR Bhardwaj who has recommended imposition of President`s Rule in Karnataka, the BJP Government in the state on Monday sent another Cabinet resolution requesting him to convene a session of both Houses of Legislatures from June 02.
An emergent Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa decided to submit one more resolution seeking summoning of the Legislature session, a day after Bhardwaj recommended to the Centre to keep the Assembly in suspended animation in the wake of Supreme Court quashing the disqualification of 11 rebel BJP and five independent MLAs.
The Governor had earlier rejected a May 13 resolution seeking his nod to convene the Legislature session from today.
"The Cabinet felt that it is necessary to pass full budget for implementation of development programmes. Therefore, it was decided to recommend to the Governor to convene both Houses of Legislatures for a period of 10 days from June 02 at 12.15 PM," Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister S Sureshkumar told reporters here.
Asked whether the Government was making up for the lapse of its earlier request for convening of the Legislature session at a short notice, Kumar said as per the Article 163 of the Constitution, the Cabinet had submitted the request.
On whether the Government expected the Governor to accept its resolution when he had already sent a report to the Centre recommending President`s Rule, Kumar said, "So far we have not received any communication in this regard".
The Cabinet expressed its displeasure over the report sent by the Governor to the Centre, but did not pass any other resolution, he said.
"The grounds that have been made out by the Governor in his special report cannot be the basis for this kind of recommendation (dismissal of the government)," Kumar asserted.
Referring to the request for convening of the session from May 16, he said on May 13 he tried to establish contact with the Governor who was in Delhi, but Bhardwaj did not respond.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical