Karnataka govt mulls banning temple ritual
Bangalore: BJP Government in Karnataka is mulling a ban on "made snana", an annual religious ritual in which people roll on leftover food consumed by Brahmins to fulfil vow at a famous temple in the state, in view of protests by various Dalit outfits against the practice.
Announcing this, Social Welfare Minister A Narayanaswamy
told reporters here that he had directed the department
officials to submit in next four days a report on the
practice, observed at the famous Kukke Subrahmanya temple
during `shashti` festivities in Dakshina Kannada district.
Leaders of various Dalit organisations have been demanding
a ban on "made snana" saying it hurt Dalit sentiments.
They contend that such customs were increasingly being used
to subjugate Dalits and they were foisted on them in the name
After getting a detailed report, the government would take
a decision on the matter, Narayanaswamy said.
More than 2,000 devotees took part in the ritual on the
concluding day of three-day festival held at the temple on
November 30. The ritual is held as part of a vow for
fulfilment of wishes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'