Karnataka govt mulls banning temple ritual
Bangalore: BJP Government in Karnataka is mulling a ban on "made snana", an annual religious ritual in which people roll on leftover food consumed by Brahmins to fulfil vow at a famous temple in the state, in view of protests by various Dalit outfits against the practice.
Announcing this, Social Welfare Minister A Narayanaswamy
told reporters here that he had directed the department
officials to submit in next four days a report on the
practice, observed at the famous Kukke Subrahmanya temple
during `shashti` festivities in Dakshina Kannada district.
Leaders of various Dalit organisations have been demanding
a ban on "made snana" saying it hurt Dalit sentiments.
They contend that such customs were increasingly being used
to subjugate Dalits and they were foisted on them in the name
After getting a detailed report, the government would take
a decision on the matter, Narayanaswamy said.
More than 2,000 devotees took part in the ritual on the
concluding day of three-day festival held at the temple on
November 30. The ritual is held as part of a vow for
fulfilment of wishes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door