Karnataka govt suspends 40 officials named in illegal mining report
Bangalore: Karnataka government has suspended 40 officials and staff and issued show-cause notices to 257 who have been named by Lokayukta reports in illegal mining in Karnataka, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar said on Tuesday.
Responding to a question of Tanveer Sait (Congress) in the Legislative Assembly, he said as per the recommendations in those reports, 66 officials and staff have been transferred from Bellary district.
The then Lokayukta Justice (Retd) N Santosh Hegde had submitted the preliminary report on illegal mining on December 18, 2008 and the final report on July 27, 2011, and Sait wanted to know the action initiated by the government on their recommendations.
Shettar said show-cause notices have been issued to five IAS officers and one IPS, and disciplinary action has been taken against three officials of Mysore Minerals Ltd.
"After the Lokayukta reports, we have taken all action.There is no question of shielding anybody," the chief minister said.
Leader of Opposition Siddaramaiah (Congress) said the loss to the state exchequer because of illegal mining and non-payment of royalty is to the tune of Rs 20,000 crore.
"Message has gone out that the government is trying to cover-up (the scam) and there is a debate in the public domain," he said. "The government should take action without hesitation, without coming under influence and pressure."
Sait sought a detailed discussion on the issue of illegal mining and the government action, and Speaker K G Bopaiah agreed for a half-hour debate at a later time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC