Karnataka govt to install mobile phone jammers in jails
Bangalore: Karnataka Government has decided
to install jammers in all jails to curb usage of mobile phones
by criminals while in custody, state Home Minister R Ashoka
said on Saturday.
It has come to the knowledge of the government that
criminals lodged in jails continue their illegal activities
and planned to attack their rivals in jails with the help of
mobile phones, he said after releasing telephone directory of
reporters brought by Bangalore Reporters` Guild here.
"Even weapons were making their way into jails and there
was a racket in which the associates of criminals hurl mobile
handsets into jail premises from outside," Ashoka said.
To check this menace, the government is also planning
to spread nets along the compound and conduct raids by city
crime branch squads at regular intervals.
There is also a proposal to install CCTV cameras in
jails to monitor the activities of inmates, he said.
The government was thinking to constitute special squads
to keep vigil on the activities of criminals, Ashoka said.
The Government wants to depute at least 20 police
official for training abroad to imbibe investigation skills to
detect cyber crimes which weare on the rise, but has not been
able to achieve the target due to reluctance on the part of
the officials to participate in such programmes, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka