Karnataka Govt urged not to release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu
Belgaum: Hours after the Supreme Court ordered Karnataka to release of 10,000 cusecs of Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu, Opposition parties urged the government not to do so.
"The government should take a firm stand on the issue and not release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu as farmers in Karnataka are in distress," Opposition Leader in Assembly Siddaramaiah said in the House.
The six-day Winter Session of the Karnataka Legislature, being held for the first time at the newly-built Suvarna Vidhana Soudha, began on Wednesday.
JDS leader HD Revanna demanded that the government should move a one-line resolution in the Assembly not to release water to Tamil Nadu under any circumstances.
Few other members said they were prepared to resign and go to jail on this issue, but the government should not release water.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar insisted that before passing a resolution on the issue, a meeting of floor leaders should be held. However, Siddaramaiah urged Shettar to spell out the government stand on the floor of the House.
In response, Shettar said he would reply on the issue after consulting legal experts and studying the full extract of the SC order.
Shettar, however, said the government explained the prevailing drought situation and water shortage for standing crops before the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC), Cauvery River Authority (CRA) and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa when she visited Bangalore last week.
Shettar said he had suggested formation of a committee consisting farmer leaders and experts to exchange information on distressing situations prevailing in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
The apex court today directed Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of water from Cauvery River to Tamil Nadu. The apex court also asked CMC to meet on December 07 or December 08 to decide the water requirement of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31