Karnataka has over 47,000 severely malnourished children: Govt
Bangalore: Karnataka has more than 47,000 severely malnourished children, according to government figures.
As per the information made available by Women and Child Development Minister Umashree on Thursday, Belgaum district tops the list with 4896, followed by Raichur 4596 and Bellary 3613 in June of the total 47,101.
Hassan has the least at 301 among the 0-6 age category.
The number of moderately malnourished children is much higher at more than 10.86 lakh or 27.42 per cent of the more than 39.63 lakh kids weighed in 30 districts of the State which has a total population of more than six crore.
The Minister held a meeting today with senior officials of Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), Departments of Health and Family Welfare, Primary and Secondary Education and Food and Civil Supplies, Bangalore Medical College, Slum Development Board and voluntary organisations to discuss measures to fight malnourishment among children and improving infrastructure of Anganwadi kendras within BBMP limits.
Currently, the number of Anganawadi kendras in localities coming under BBMP and extension areas is 2097, and the Government has sent a proposal to the Centre to open additional 242 in BBMP areas.
Umashree said 40 temporary Anganawadi kendras would be opened on an urgent basis in DJ Halli here, which has a large number of malnourished children, adding, steps would be taken to distribute BPL ration cards to families of severely malnourished children.
The death of severely malnourished and physically challenged six-year-old Meghala in DJ Halli last month has brought the issues surrounding underweight kids into sharp focus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception