Karnataka has over 47,000 severely malnourished children: Govt
Bangalore: Karnataka has more than 47,000 severely malnourished children, according to government figures.
As per the information made available by Women and Child Development Minister Umashree on Thursday, Belgaum district tops the list with 4896, followed by Raichur 4596 and Bellary 3613 in June of the total 47,101.
Hassan has the least at 301 among the 0-6 age category.
The number of moderately malnourished children is much higher at more than 10.86 lakh or 27.42 per cent of the more than 39.63 lakh kids weighed in 30 districts of the State which has a total population of more than six crore.
The Minister held a meeting today with senior officials of Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), Departments of Health and Family Welfare, Primary and Secondary Education and Food and Civil Supplies, Bangalore Medical College, Slum Development Board and voluntary organisations to discuss measures to fight malnourishment among children and improving infrastructure of Anganwadi kendras within BBMP limits.
Currently, the number of Anganawadi kendras in localities coming under BBMP and extension areas is 2097, and the Government has sent a proposal to the Centre to open additional 242 in BBMP areas.
Umashree said 40 temporary Anganawadi kendras would be opened on an urgent basis in DJ Halli here, which has a large number of malnourished children, adding, steps would be taken to distribute BPL ration cards to families of severely malnourished children.
The death of severely malnourished and physically challenged six-year-old Meghala in DJ Halli last month has brought the issues surrounding underweight kids into sharp focus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today
- There was no intention to show disrespect to Stalin or DMK, clarifies Jayalalithaa
- Air ambulance crash lands in Delhi: This is how the pilot saved lives of passengers
- Uttarakhand Class 10 Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uk Board Class 10th Result 2016, Uttarakhand Board Class 10th X Result 2016, UBSE 10th Class Result to be announced today at 11 am
- Govt's solution for bad loans: Merge state-owned banks to 6 from 27