Karnataka HC dismisses Murugesh Nirani`s plea
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Tuesday dismissed the criminal petition by former industries minister Murugesh Nirani seeking quashing of the FIR and chargesheet filed against him in the Lokayukta court in connection with a private complaint that he illegally ordered cancellation of an industrial site based on a forged signature.
Justice Anand Byrareddy dismissed the petition on the grounds that since the chargesheet was still pending before the Special Judge of Lokayukta court for taking cognisance, it was not a fit case for any kind of interference at this stage.
The court also held that since Nirani had ceased to be a public servant, sanction for prosecuting him was not necessary.
The petitioner had sought quashing of the FIR and the chargesheet on grounds that sanction which was necessary even for filing of the complaint, had not been obtained by the respondent.
On May 21 last year, the Lokayukta court had ordered a probe into the complaint filed by industrialist Alam Pasha.
The Investigating officer had filed his final report before the Lokayukta court on March 1, charging Nirani, former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, former Principal Secretary, industries department, V P Baligar and former Managing Director, Udyog Mitra, K S Shivaswamy under various IPC sections and the Prevention of Corruption Act 1988.
Pasha had stated in his complaint that the Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board had allotted him 26 acres for setting up of an industry but Yeddyurappa and Nirani cancelled it on the basis of a forged letter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery