Karnataka HC extends stay in case against Speaker
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Friday
extended its stay on Lokayukta court proceedings and further
probe by police in a case filed against Speaker K G Bopaiah
for alleged misuse of funds in a lake development project.
When the petition by Bopaiah seeking quashing of the FIR
in the case came up before Justice N Ananda, he extended the
interim stay to January 25, as the complainant sought time.
Earlier, the court had ordered issue of notice to
Lokayukta police in the case.
Bopaiah had sought quashing of the FIR on the grounds
that no prior sanction was sought for doing so from the
concerned authorities (in this case, Governor).
On a direction from Lokayukta court, Lokayukta police in
Madikeri on December 8 filed an FIR against Bopaiah and three
other government officials on a complaint by Congress member
Saritha Poonacha, alleging "misuse" of funds sanctioned for
lake construction in Titimathi, about 60 km from here.
Apart from Bopaiah, the other three named in the FIR are:
Zilla Panchayat Member S N Raja Rao, Kodagu Nirmiti Kendra
Project Manager Yoga Narasimha, ZP CEO N Krishnappa.
Meanwhile, Justice Subhash B Adi adjourned to January 24,
further hearing on the anticipatory bail applications filed by
the other three accused in the case.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Lokayukta C K Shashidhar
filed the FIR under Sections 13 (1D), 409, 420 RW with 120(B)
of Indian Penal Code and section 3(A) of the Forest Act 1980.
The FIR was filed pursuant to directions of District and
Sessions Judge, Ashok Nijagannanavar, also the judge of the
Special Court for prevention of corruption cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city