Karnataka HC grants bail to Nityananda Swami
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Friday granted conditional bail to the self-styled godman Nityananda Swami and directed his lawyer to furnish a surety bond of Rs one lakh.
According to report, the Karnataka High Court granted bail to Nityananda since there was no satisfactory evidence to keep him under further custody.
The development comes as a big relief to the controversial godman, who has been in jail for the past 52 days after the sessions court refused to grant him bail.
He has been charged with rape and unnatural sex.
The Karnataka High Court bench of Justice Subhash B Adi Thursday reserved his order on Nityananda`s bail plea following the completion of a police investigation into the case.
The court also adjourned to June 24 hearing of the writ petition seeking quashing of two FIRs filed against Nityananda.
Nityananda, whose judicial custody was extended to June 23, landed in controversy in March after a local TV channels aired purported video footage showing him in a compromising position with a Tamil actress. He was arrested from Solan in Himachal Pradesh on April 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price