Karnataka HC grants bail to Nityananda Swami
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Friday granted conditional bail to the self-styled godman Nityananda Swami and directed his lawyer to furnish a surety bond of Rs one lakh.
According to report, the Karnataka High Court granted bail to Nityananda since there was no satisfactory evidence to keep him under further custody.
The development comes as a big relief to the controversial godman, who has been in jail for the past 52 days after the sessions court refused to grant him bail.
He has been charged with rape and unnatural sex.
The Karnataka High Court bench of Justice Subhash B Adi Thursday reserved his order on Nityananda`s bail plea following the completion of a police investigation into the case.
The court also adjourned to June 24 hearing of the writ petition seeking quashing of two FIRs filed against Nityananda.
Nityananda, whose judicial custody was extended to June 23, landed in controversy in March after a local TV channels aired purported video footage showing him in a compromising position with a Tamil actress. He was arrested from Solan in Himachal Pradesh on April 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!