Karnataka HC issues notice to Santosh Hegde
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Wednesday issued
notice to former Lokayukta Santosh Hegde in connection with an
appeal filed by a senior IPS officer challenging a lower court
order dismissing his defamation suit against the former
Supreme Court judge.
Justice Anand Byrareddy gave the order for issuing the
notice when the appeal filed by Superintendent of Police
(Intelligence) Hemanth Nimbalkar came up for hearing.
Following a Lokayukta raid in March 2009, when Nimbalkar
was SP in Belgaum, the then Lokayukta Hegde had alleged that
the officer had amassed wealth of Rs 250 crore.
Hegde had reiterated the claim in the press meet held in
Bangalore the following day. Since the allegation was made in
here, Nimbalkar had filed a defamation suit at the local
court, which subsequently dismissed his suit.
Nimbalkar then approached the High Court challenging the
lower court’s decision.
He was aggrieved over Lokayukta`s assertion that he
possessed wealth disproportionate to his known sources of
income. Hegde had earlier said that he stood by his decision
to make the details of the raid public. "This is nothing new
as such litigations have been filed earlier," he had observed.
Hegde, when asked to comment today`s High Court order,
said, "I do not wish to comment or say anything about it
till I get the notice from the court."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video