Karnataka HC issues notice to Santosh Hegde
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Wednesday issued
notice to former Lokayukta Santosh Hegde in connection with an
appeal filed by a senior IPS officer challenging a lower court
order dismissing his defamation suit against the former
Supreme Court judge.
Justice Anand Byrareddy gave the order for issuing the
notice when the appeal filed by Superintendent of Police
(Intelligence) Hemanth Nimbalkar came up for hearing.
Following a Lokayukta raid in March 2009, when Nimbalkar
was SP in Belgaum, the then Lokayukta Hegde had alleged that
the officer had amassed wealth of Rs 250 crore.
Hegde had reiterated the claim in the press meet held in
Bangalore the following day. Since the allegation was made in
here, Nimbalkar had filed a defamation suit at the local
court, which subsequently dismissed his suit.
Nimbalkar then approached the High Court challenging the
lower court’s decision.
He was aggrieved over Lokayukta`s assertion that he
possessed wealth disproportionate to his known sources of
income. Hegde had earlier said that he stood by his decision
to make the details of the raid public. "This is nothing new
as such litigations have been filed earlier," he had observed.
Hegde, when asked to comment today`s High Court order,
said, "I do not wish to comment or say anything about it
till I get the notice from the court."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued