Karnataka HC to pronounce verdict on MLAs disqualification on October 29
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on October 29 will pronounce its much-awaited verdict on the disqualification of 11 rebel BJP MLAs which is likely to have a bearing on the first-ever BJP government in the south.
Justice V G Sabhahit, the third judge who heard the batch of petitions filed by the rebels challenging their disqualification from assembly membership by Speaker K G Bopaiah, will deliver the judgement at 2:30 pm.
The case was posted before Justice Sabhahit after a division bench, comprising Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justice N Kumar gave a split verdict.
While Khehar upheld the Speaker`s ruling, Kumar set aside the disqualification order.
After hearing counsels for both parties, Sabhahit reserved for orders on October 21.
The ruling BJP and Opposition Congress-JDS combine have been waiting for the verdict with fingers crossed as it will have an impact on the stability of Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s government.
The court on October 21 refused the plea by five Independents, who also have been disqualified, to allow them to vote during the second motion of confidence moved by Yeddyurappa on October 22 or their votes be kept in a sealed cover till the court decides on their petition.
However, the court had declared that the floor test outcome was subject to its final order on the petition by Independent MLAs.
Speaker Bopaiah ordered disqualification of 16 MLAs -- 11 BJP and five independents -- on October 10 on the eve of the floor test faced by Yeddyurappa.
Governor H R Bhardwaj refused to accept the result of the first trust vote adopted by voice vote amid ruckus in the truncated state assembly, but called for a second vote on October 22, which Yeddyurappa won by a 106-100 margin.
The petition filed by five independents praying for quashing of the Speaker`s order disqualifying them will come up for hearing on November 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday