Karnataka: JDS launches movement to turn heat on CM
Bangalore: Apparently inspired by Anna
Hazare`s anti-corruption crusade, Opposition JDS in Karnataka
on Friday launched a "people`s movement" targeting the BJP
government led by BS Yeddyurappa over alleged corruption,
nepotism and favouritism.
Gandhian HS Doreswamy inaugurated a rally at Freedom Park
here marking the commencement of the "Janandolana" aimed at
turning the spotlight on the allegations against the
JDS leaders said the campaign was an "apolitical movement"
to give vent to "people`s ire" against political corruption.
JDS supremo and former Prime Minister HD Devegowda sat
among the audience braving scorching sun while a couple of
leaders of Left parties and litterateurs and Doreswamy
addressed a motley crowd.
Gowda is leading `Jatha` -- proceeding in a convoy of
vehicles and addressing rallies at some places along the way
-- from here which would culminate on May 9 at Shimoga, the
home district of Yeddyurappa, where a huge rally has been
Similar `Jathas` are being taken out from some parts of
the state, including from Basavakalyana in Bidar district led
by state unit president HD Kumaraswamy and from
Chamarajanagar led by another leader HD Revanna.
They would culminate at Shimoga on Monday for the "mega
Doreswamy, a highly respected freedom fighter, made a
passionate appeal to keep the movement apolitical setting
aside party affiliations.
"Rooting out political corruption should be a top
priority", Doreswamy said, blamed it for the "ills facing the
He bemoaned the role of money power in elections and said
politicians were deploying graft money to lure voters and win
He said the movement should result in "concrete action"
against political corruption.
Gowda, who later spoke from the dais, said legislature,
executive and judiciary were on the "decline" and held
politicians responsible for the "falling standards".
"It`s possible to improve things only through people`s
power. People`s movement is very essential", he said.
JDS leaders maintained that the movement was driven by
writers, litterateurs, artists, progressive organisations and
the party was part of the initiative.
The party launched the movement on the birth anniversary
of Basaveshwara, a revered 12th century social reformer and
philosopher of Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das