Karnataka junket MLAs submit report, admit to sight-seeing
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: A delegation of Karnataka MLAs, who recently went to Australia and New Zealand on a study tour, have made 15 recommendations, including adopting sheep and cattle-rearing techniques to enhance the income of farmers in the state amid criticism for wasting public money on such foreign junkets.
The 11-member legislators` panel on SC/ST and Backward Classes Welfare, which toured Australia, New Zealand and Fiji for nearly fifteen days, submitted a 26-page study report to the Karnataka Assembly yesterday.
"The report largely talks about sheep and cattle-rearing using latest technology, which if adopted in Karnataka, could double farmer`s income. It also speaks about infrastructure and use of scientific techniques in agriculture," panel chief BR Yavagal told reporters yesterday.
Countering the scathing criticism by public and media for "wasting" public money on such foreign junkets, he said they could not be always studying, and admitted to "some sight-seeing".
The report states that legislators visited snow-clad Mount Cook, Waitomo Gloworm cave and a cherry cultivation farm in New Zealand.
Rejecting criticism of such tours, the panel report recommended the continuation of the system of foreign study tours for legislators, saying they helped them update their knowledge on latest techniques and technologies adopted in other countries.
"This will prompt legislators to implement these things in the state and their respective constituencies," Yavagal said.
The report also recommends that Karnataka and India should try adopting the system prevalent in Australia and New Zealand, of having separate fund for educational, social, economic and political welfare of Tribals.
It recommended imposing penalty for disfiguring public places and violating city`s cleanliness.
It also favoured cruise tourism along beaches and heli-tourism for Hampi, Badami, Belur, Halebid, Lakkundi and Shravanabelagola.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself