Karnataka Lokayukta quits over housing plot row
Bangalore: Facing allegations of violating cooperative housing society laws to own two sites in Bangalore, Karnataka Lokayukta Shivaraj Virupanna Patil quit on Monday, becoming the state`s first ombudsman to leave office amid a row.
A retired judge of the Supreme Court, Patil took over on August 3 from another former apex court judge N Santosh Hegde, whose explosive report on illegal mining scam resulted in the fall of the South India`s first Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government, led by BS Yeddyurappa, on July 31.
Patil submitted his resignation to Governor HR Bhardwaj in view of the controversy, though he said his wife would surrender the plot the couple had bought in her name.
A Raj Bhavan spokesperson said, "Justice Patil met the Governor and has given a letter. We are yet to hear from the Governor."
Patil had earlier denied any wrong-doing in buying a 4,012 sq feet plot in his wife Annapurna`s name from Vyalikaval House Building Cooperative Society (VHBCS) near Nagavara on Bangalore`s outskirts in 2006.
This plot was bought even though Patil owned a house in Bangalore. He got in 1994 a 9,600 sq ft site from the Karnataka State Judicial Department Employees` House Building Cooperative Society at Allasandra in another part of Bangalore`s outskirts.
The cooperative housing society rules state that people who own a plot or a house in a city are not eligible to get another plot from a housing society as the plots are sold at prices much lower than in the market for the members of the society.
Patil`s contention is that his wife was not allotted a plot by the Vyalikaval Society and it was bought in an auction.
Patil is the sixth Karnataka Lokayukta, the anti-graft institution that was set up in 1986, making Karnataka the first state do so.
Earlier, Patil had been appointed by Communications Minister Kapil Sibal as one-man panel to probe the telecom policies and procedures followed during 2001-2009, including during the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) regime, and assess whether they were followed in a transparent manner.
Patil submitted his report on January 31.
The first Karnataka Lokayukta was AD Koshal, a retired judge of the Supreme Court.
However, it was during the tenure of the fourth Lokayukta N Venkatachala (2001-2006) that the ombudsman became highly active with frequent raids on government offices across the state to detect graft.
Hegde carried on Venkatachala`s work and topped his five-year tenure, that ended on August 2 this year, with a report on massive illegal mining scam in the state leading to the fall of the Yeddyurappa government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in