Karnataka: Magistrate court awards one-year jail term for JDS MLA
Hassan: A local court on Monday pronounced one year jail term for JDS MLA K M Shivalinge Gowda after finding him guilty of violation of poll code during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Judicial Magistrate First Class Junior Division Court Judge Prakash Chanappa Kumbit also imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on Gowda.
He directed police to issue arrest warrant against Gowda and take him into custody.
The court found enough evidence against Gowda to have violated the election model code of conduct by holding a bash serving non-vegetarian food to voters in Arasikere assembly constituency.
Reacting to the court order, Gowda said he would respect it.
He said he has already moved the court seeking stay of the order and also for bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city