Karnataka: Magistrate court awards one-year jail term for JDS MLA
Hassan: A local court on Monday pronounced one year jail term for JDS MLA K M Shivalinge Gowda after finding him guilty of violation of poll code during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Judicial Magistrate First Class Junior Division Court Judge Prakash Chanappa Kumbit also imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on Gowda.
He directed police to issue arrest warrant against Gowda and take him into custody.
The court found enough evidence against Gowda to have violated the election model code of conduct by holding a bash serving non-vegetarian food to voters in Arasikere assembly constituency.
Reacting to the court order, Gowda said he would respect it.
He said he has already moved the court seeking stay of the order and also for bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'