Karnataka: Magistrate court awards one-year jail term for JDS MLA
Hassan: A local court on Monday pronounced one year jail term for JDS MLA K M Shivalinge Gowda after finding him guilty of violation of poll code during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Judicial Magistrate First Class Junior Division Court Judge Prakash Chanappa Kumbit also imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on Gowda.
He directed police to issue arrest warrant against Gowda and take him into custody.
The court found enough evidence against Gowda to have violated the election model code of conduct by holding a bash serving non-vegetarian food to voters in Arasikere assembly constituency.
Reacting to the court order, Gowda said he would respect it.
He said he has already moved the court seeking stay of the order and also for bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!