Karnataka: Magistrate court awards one-year jail term for JDS MLA
Hassan: A local court on Monday pronounced one year jail term for JDS MLA K M Shivalinge Gowda after finding him guilty of violation of poll code during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Judicial Magistrate First Class Junior Division Court Judge Prakash Chanappa Kumbit also imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on Gowda.
He directed police to issue arrest warrant against Gowda and take him into custody.
The court found enough evidence against Gowda to have violated the election model code of conduct by holding a bash serving non-vegetarian food to voters in Arasikere assembly constituency.
Reacting to the court order, Gowda said he would respect it.
He said he has already moved the court seeking stay of the order and also for bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB