Karnataka mining: CEC report indicts Reddy bros
New Delhi: Former Karnataka Minister and
mining baron G Janardhana Reddy-owned company adopted dubious
means and inflated the figure of iron ore extraction in order
to make illegal production of their other mines legal, says an
expert committee report submitted Friday in the Supreme Court.
The report of the apex court-appointed Central Empowered
Committee (CEC) noted that Janardhan Reddy`s AMC (Associated
Mining Company) had illegally done mining operation during
1996-2000 in which its lease had expired and there were
irregularities in its renewal.
The CEC said even the renewal of the lease, which was
done in the year 2003 and retrospectively applied from 2000,
To gain full control of the AMC, Reddy adopted dubious
means, CEC said in the report which is based on findings of
the Joint team, constituted in pursuance of May 6, 2011 order
of the apex court for carrying out survey work and demarcation
of 99 mining leases in Bellary, Chitradurga and Tumkur.
"The said mining lease (of AMC) was effectively
transferred to Janardhan Reddy, the then Tourism Minster, and
Minister incharge of District Bellary and G Lakshmi Aruna with
effect from August 1, 2009. This, it appears, was done by
adopting dubious means to get themselves admitted as new
partners and ensuring the retirement of all the existing
partners on the firm," the report said.
The CEC annexed with its report a letter by state-owned
National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC), which said
Deccan Mining Syndicate (DMS), owned by another mining baron S
M Jain, had encroached upon its mining areas for which it had
made complaints before police, Department of Mines and
Geology, Revenue Department and other authorities of Karnataka
NMDC also said that in regard to a complaint made by it
against DMS before the police, the words "lodging an FIR" was
struck out by replacing with "take and action".
The report states that "massive illegal mining" was being
done by third parties with regard to the two mining leases of
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read