Karnataka minister in land allotment controversy
Bangalore: Karnataka Forest Minister C P
Yogeshwar has landed himself in another controversy over the
allotment of a 4,000-square feet government site here
allegedly in violation of rules.
Yogeshwar, already facing opposition heat for his alleged
involvement in Mega City real estate project scam, has been
alloted `G` category Bangalore Development Authority (BDA)
site under the chief minister`s discretionary quota despite
owning two houses in the city -- one in his name and another
in his wife`s, BDA sources said.
He had declared in July that he was alloted the BDA site
in HSR Layout for Rs 8.79 lakh on March 14 this year, they
The Minister was not available for his reaction.
The plots are allotted at chief minister`s discretion to
eminent personalities. According to BDA rules, a person is
eligible for allotment only if neither he nor any of his
family members owned a site or house in Bangalore Metropolitan
However, Yogeshwar has declared with Lokayukta that he
owned a house on a 2,400 sq ft land in Banashankari IV Block
here, BDA sources said.
His wife P V Sheela`s house on the 2,400 sq ft of land is
also at BDA Layout in Banashankari, the sources said.
This is the latest in a series of controversies that have
hit the BJP Government over allotment of land. Former chief
minister B S Yeddyurappa was accused of favouritism in
allotment of a BDA plot to his MP son B Y Raghavendra.
Besides, six ministers have come under fire for receiving
high-value residential plots for a `pittance` in 2007.
S Vasudeva, a city resident, had moved the high court
questioning the allotment of G category plots to 250 persons,
including Ministers V S Acharya, R Ashok, M P Renukacharya,
Murugesh Nirani, V H Kageri and Lakshman Savadi in 2007 when
the JD(S)-BJP government was in power.
Recently Shivaraj Patil resigned as Karnataka Lokayukta
in the wake of a media expose which showed that his family
owned multiple residential plots in Bangalore allegedly in
violation of housing co-operative society bylaws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday