Karnataka MLA among lucky passengers
Penukonda (Andhra Pradesh): Karnataka MLA Amaregowda Bayyapura was among the lucky passengers of the ill-fated Hampi Express as he escaped unhurt when it collided with a goods train throwing three coaches ahead of their AC bogie off the rails and claiming 25 lives.
Bayyapura, who represents Kushtagi in Raichur district, said he was lucky to be alive as he was travelling in the fourth coach, 2-tier AC.
"I woke up to a loud thud and after alighting I saw two of the coaches on top of the engine and the wheels of the coaches broken apart," he said.
The BJP MLA expressed grief over the death ofa number poor labourers from Gadag, Koppal and Bellary who were travelling in the train.
At least 25 people including five members of a family from Bellary were killed and 43 injured when Bangalore-bound Hampi Express collided with a goods train at Penukonda Railway Station here.
- Brussels Airport departure hall reopens after deadly attacks
- West Bengal polls: Mamata Banerjee accuses police of unleashing terror at EC's behest
- PM Modi launches solar-powered boats in Varanasi, says 'govt schemes should strengthen people, not vote banks'
- India ready to clear $6.5 billion of Iran's oil dues ahead of Modi's visit
- ISIS developing Google-style driverless cars for attacks