Karnataka mulling bill to allow panchayats levy tax on services
Bangalore: Karnataka Government is planning to introduce a bill which will give powers to gram panchayats to levy taxes on services provided by commercial establishments, including airports, falling under their jurisdiction to rev up revenue collection.
The government move was prompted by the dwindling gram panchayat revenues to take up developmental works in villages, Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Minister H K Patil said in the state Assembly.
As much as 50 per cent of the gram panchayats across the state will gain from the proposed legislation because the commercial establishments do not render services in the limits of the remaining gram panchayats, Patil said.
The Minister also said that by March 2015 all gram panchayats will get access to broadband facility in the state.
"A company named Bharat Broadband will provide the facility to gram panchayats, and the talks with them are in final stages," Patil added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir