Karnataka mulling bill to allow panchayats levy tax on services
Bangalore: Karnataka Government is planning to introduce a bill which will give powers to gram panchayats to levy taxes on services provided by commercial establishments, including airports, falling under their jurisdiction to rev up revenue collection.
The government move was prompted by the dwindling gram panchayat revenues to take up developmental works in villages, Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Minister H K Patil said in the state Assembly.
As much as 50 per cent of the gram panchayats across the state will gain from the proposed legislation because the commercial establishments do not render services in the limits of the remaining gram panchayats, Patil said.
The Minister also said that by March 2015 all gram panchayats will get access to broadband facility in the state.
"A company named Bharat Broadband will provide the facility to gram panchayats, and the talks with them are in final stages," Patil added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- France's Francois Hollande says Munich shooting is a ''terrorist attack''
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito