Karnataka orders CID probe into `Love Jihad` cases
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Monday ordered a CID inquiry into `love jihad` where young non-Muslim girls are allegedly lured into marriage and converted to Islam following a recent High Court directive to probe such incidents.
A high level meeting of police officials chaired by Home
Minister Dr V S Acharya discussed the alleged incidents of
`love jihad` reported from parts of Kerala and Karnataka.
"It has been decided that DGP, CID would collect more
information on the menace, including from Kerala and submit a
report to the government suggesting measures to curb it within
a fortnight," Acharya told reporters after the meeting here.
The probe will also focus on whether girls were being
lured for conversion, any organisation was promoting and
funding such activities and to find out who is behind it, he
After receiving the report, the government would decide
the action to be initiated to check "love jihad", he said.
Karnataka High Court during a hearing on a habeas corpus
petition filed by the parents of a girl, who married a Muslim
boy from Kannur district and was allegedly confined in a
madrasa in Kerala`s Mallapuram town, had directed the state
and Kerala to jointly probe the "jihad" and file a report
before November 13.
The Kerala High Court had also recently directed the
state government there to provide information on `love jihad`,
observing that there was a movement or project called `Love
Jihad` or `Romeo Jihad` conceived by a section of Muslims in
Kerala to convert girls from other religions to Islam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof