Karnataka RS bypoll on August 29
New Delhi: The bye-elections to fill up a Rajya Sabha seat from Karnataka will be held on August 29, the Election Commission announced on Thursday.
The seat fell vacant following the resignation of Congress leader Anil H Lad on May 20 this year. His term was to expire on June 25, 2014.
The Election Commission has decided that the poll notification will be issued on August 12 and the last date for nominations for the poll will be August 19.
After scrutiny of nominations the next day, the last date for withdrawal of candidatures is August 22 and polling will be held from 9 AM to 4 PM on August 29, if necessary. The counting of votes will take place the same day at 5 PM.
Lad, who is in the business of mining, was a former BJP MLA from Bellary and had joined the Congress in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Jasprit Bumrah jumps to career best No. 2 spot in ICC T20I Rankings
- Water tanker scam: ACB summons Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra for questioning
- Now recharge your body and phone with KFC's 'Watt a Box' meal!- Watch
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid