Karnataka RS bypoll on August 29
New Delhi: The bye-elections to fill up a Rajya Sabha seat from Karnataka will be held on August 29, the Election Commission announced on Thursday.
The seat fell vacant following the resignation of Congress leader Anil H Lad on May 20 this year. His term was to expire on June 25, 2014.
The Election Commission has decided that the poll notification will be issued on August 12 and the last date for nominations for the poll will be August 19.
After scrutiny of nominations the next day, the last date for withdrawal of candidatures is August 22 and polling will be held from 9 AM to 4 PM on August 29, if necessary. The counting of votes will take place the same day at 5 PM.
Lad, who is in the business of mining, was a former BJP MLA from Bellary and had joined the Congress in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'