Karnataka seeks special grant for Bidar district
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister D V
Sadananda Gowda on Friday urged the Planning Commission to release
a special grant of Rs 430 crore for the development of Bidar
district, which is set to celebrate 500 years of Gurdwara
Gowda termed the district as one of the under-developed
districts of the state with lower Human Development Index amid
a relatively higher population of SCs, STs and minorities.
The move comes in backdrop of the proposed 500-year
celebrations of the famous gurdwara here in April.
In a letter to Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek
Singh Ahluwalia, he said: "...we are going to celebrate 500th
year of consecration of the revered Guru Nanak Jheera Gurdwara
at Bidar between 24th and 29th April 2012."
Gowda said the "gurdwara, considered as one of the
holiest, has great cultural and historical significance. It
will attract around two million people during the
"In this context, it would be appropriate we pool our
resources for the infrastructure upgradation in and around the
Bidar City to ensure better civic and other services to the
citizens and devotees," Gowda said.
The chief minister said a project proposal in this regard
has been prepared and an estimated Rs 430 crore will be
required for the development of basic infrastructure including
roads, water supply, health facilities, traffic, electricity,
sports and recreation etc.
"This one-time development of infrastructure will give
fillip to the overall development of that area and will have
tremendous multiplier effect which will help the whole area to
develop," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray