Karnataka seeks special grant for Bidar district
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister D V
Sadananda Gowda on Friday urged the Planning Commission to release
a special grant of Rs 430 crore for the development of Bidar
district, which is set to celebrate 500 years of Gurdwara
Gowda termed the district as one of the under-developed
districts of the state with lower Human Development Index amid
a relatively higher population of SCs, STs and minorities.
The move comes in backdrop of the proposed 500-year
celebrations of the famous gurdwara here in April.
In a letter to Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek
Singh Ahluwalia, he said: "...we are going to celebrate 500th
year of consecration of the revered Guru Nanak Jheera Gurdwara
at Bidar between 24th and 29th April 2012."
Gowda said the "gurdwara, considered as one of the
holiest, has great cultural and historical significance. It
will attract around two million people during the
"In this context, it would be appropriate we pool our
resources for the infrastructure upgradation in and around the
Bidar City to ensure better civic and other services to the
citizens and devotees," Gowda said.
The chief minister said a project proposal in this regard
has been prepared and an estimated Rs 430 crore will be
required for the development of basic infrastructure including
roads, water supply, health facilities, traffic, electricity,
sports and recreation etc.
"This one-time development of infrastructure will give
fillip to the overall development of that area and will have
tremendous multiplier effect which will help the whole area to
develop," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH