Karnataka Speaker acted as `agent` of BJP: CPI leader
Hyderabad: Finding fault with the
Karnataka Speaker for his allegedly partisan behaviour in
conducting the trust vote, the CPI today favoured dissolution
of the Assembly and fresh elections in the BJP-ruled state.
"It is unfortunate that the Speaker of the Karnataka
Legislative Assembly has degenerated and devalued the high
office of the Speaker who should have acted as a custodian but
acted as an agent of the ruling party, the BJP," CPI Deputy
General Secretary S Sudhakar Reddy said in a statement here.
"A confidence motion cannot be put to voice vote and
declared that the State Government has majority. It is
unfortunate the Karnataka Speaker has done this. It is also a
fact that the independent member cannot be punished in the
Anti-Defection Act and cannot be disqualified. In this over-
enthusiasm, the Karnataka Speaker has committed all mistakes."
Observing that Karnataka political situation has
become murkier during the last one year with revolts, threats
of defections, distribution of cabinet berths and horse-
trading, Reddy alleged that the bankruptcy of BJP has been
The only remedy to save the situation is to dissolve
the Assembly and call for fresh elections, he said.
Karnataka today appeared headed for President`s rule
after Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa won a controversial
confidence vote following disqualification of 16 MLAs and the
Governor recommending Central rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends