Karnataka: Terror suspects families cry foul over arrests
Bangalore: Family members of some of the 11 persons arrested on suspected terror links in Karnataka on Friday claimed their kins were innocent and sought justice.
Maintaining that they were yet to be informed about charges against their kin, the family members of four of the arrested told reporters here that they planned to take legal recourse.
Ata-ur-Rehman Siddique, brother of Muti-ur-Rehman Siddique, a journalist who was among the 11 arrested yesterday for their suspected links to Lashkar-e-Taiba and HUJI, said his sibling was a "hard working sincere and succesful reporter" and wanted justice to be meted out to him.
"On the Wednesday night, I got a call from Siddique`s friend that he had been picked up by the City Crime Branch. I still do have any information from the CCB," Ata-ur-Rehman Siddique, a businessman based in Hubli, said.
"I have full faith in police and the judiciary. Let proper investigation be conducted. If he is guilty, punish him... We are peace loving people. We want to become good Muslims and above all good Hindustanis. We love our nation. We do not want blasts to happen, disrupting peace and harmony", he said.
Sheikh Rafiq Ahmad Sholapur, father of Dr Jafar Iqbal Sholapur, who was arrested from Hubli, said theirs was a much respected family and three of his children are doctors while another was an engineer.
Sholapur claimed that Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar was
his neighbour in Badami Nagar in Hubli and he had good equations with the local politicians.
"I was shocked to hear the news of my son`s arrest...I have not been told by the police as to the charges on which he has been taken into custody... My request to Karnataka government is, please give justice. If my son is proved innocent, please free him soon. I love my state and my country", he said.
Replying to a question, both Ata-Ur-Rehman and Iqbal said they would be taking legal recourse once they know the charges under which Muti-ur-Rehman and Jafar have been arrested.
AM Mirza, a Railways staff in Hubli and father of another accused Aijaz Ahmed Mirza, a Junior Research Fellow with Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO), charged the police with arresting his son "without any warrant".
He said his another son Shoheeb Ahmed Mirza, who has also been arrested, was a student in a city college and worked partime to pursue his education.
Sakina Bi, resident of Bagalkot and mother of accused Yusuf Nalaband, broke down while pleading for the release of her son, "only breadwinner of their family".
She said Yusuf had not called her for the past four days.
Ishad Ahmad, a member of National Human Rights Commission and Association of Protection of Civil Rights, who arranged for the media interaction, said they would contemplate filing habeas corpus petitions and also try and meet the Governor and the Home Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire