Karnataka to amend SC/ST/OBC act
Bangalore: Karnataka Government today decided
to amend the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes (Reservation of Appointments) Act-1990 making issuance of fake caste certificates a cognisable offence.
A bill to amend the act would be introduced in the next
legislature session, Minister for Social Welfare A
Narayanaswamy told reporters here.
Those officials who were found guilty of issuing fake caste
certificates would attract six months imprisonment and Rs
50,000 fine or both in the amended act to curb the practices
of "mechanically" issuing caste certificates and validity
certifificates without proper verification.
Those who obtain such certificates would also attract similar punishment, besides cancellation of admissions and appointments secured by them, he said.
The government decided to effect amendments to the act
following complaints that members of some backward classes
obtained caste certificates to get reservation benefits in
Narayanaswamy said some of the OBC castes like Bhoyi,
Bhoi, Bovi, Moger, Dasri and Kormasetty got certificates
claiming as Scheduled Castes.
Communities like Parivara, Parivara Nayaka, Meda and
Kuruba secured Scheduled Tribe certificate claiming that they
belong to Nayak, Medara, Medri, Kadu Kurba and Jenu Kuruba,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read