Karnataka to file fresh petition before CRA
New Delhi: Amid a row over Cauvery water sharing, Karnataka will file a review petition on Tuesday before Cauvery River Authority after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday made it clear that only the authority can revisit the decision about the state releasing water to Tamil Nadu.
Congress` Union Ministers from Karnataka SM Krishna, Mallikarjun Kharge and KH Muniyappa and 16 BJP MPs from the state, led by M Venkaiah Naidu, met Singh separately today seeking a review of the CRA decision.
"Both the groups sought a stay. The Prime Minister told them that it is not permissible as there is no mechanism under CRA to change its award...It is not the decision of the PM but of the CRA. The CRA will have to meet again for any such thing," Water Resources Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, who was present in both the meetings, told reporters here.
Later, speaking to reporters, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagdish Shettar said the state would file a review petition before the CRA tomorrow and demanded that Singh take up the issue immediately.
"The Cauvery case came up in the Supreme Court today. Our counsel said the state is not in a position to release any water (to Tamil Nadu). This is the stand of the government. We will meet the Prime Minister tomorrow and file a review petition (of the CRA order)," he said.
On September 19, the CRA had directed Karnataka to release 9000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu daily between September 20 and October 15.
Shettar`s comments came as the apex court today said its order directing Karnataka to supply 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu will not be an impediment in the Prime Minister deciding on the review petition.
Bansal said quoting the Prime Minister that the Centre will act keeping in mind the interests of both the states.
The CRA is chaired by the Prime Minister and comprises Chief Ministers of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Pudducherry and Kerala, besides the Water Resources Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune