Karnataka to press Centre on farm loan waiver
Bangalore: Karnataka would press the Union Government to direct nationalised banks to waive farm loans of up to Rs 25,000 including interest in wake of the severe drought being faced by the State.
"We will have to press the Centre to waive the loans (up to Rs 25,000)", said Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar in the Assembly, accepting the suggestion made by H D Revanna (JDS), who stressed the need to adopt a unanimous resolution in this regard.
The Chief Minister yesterday announced waiver of agricultural cooperative society loans up to Rs 25,000, including interest, of farmers between August one, 2011 and June 30 this year.
This "special package" benefiting 16 lakh farming families would incur an expenditure of Rs 3,500 crore, which would be sanctioned by the Government as grant, Shettar had said.
Congress and JDS members today made a strong pitch to expand the period from April last year to July 23 and also give the benefit to farmers who had already repaid their loans.
They argued that the farmers had taken loans from April last year itself, and they can`t be deprived of the benefit.
"I am open (to the idea)", Shettar said, adding, he would consider their suggestions while replying to discussion on finance bill, as also at the time of issuing a government order on the package. He would discuss with Finance Department officials on the implications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon