Karnataka told to release 4.8 tmc of water to Tamil Nadu
New Delhi: The Cauvery Monitoring Committee on Thursday directed Karnataka to release 4.8 tmc of water to Tamil Nadu over the next fortnight even as it refused to get into the issue of settling previous shortfall raised by the latter.
The CMC, headed by Secretary Water Resources, said Karnataka will have to release 4.8 thousand million cubic feet of water between November 16 and 30.
Sources privy to the eight-page order said Karnataka may not have to release the entire 4.8 tmc water as it had released additional supply for neighbouring Tamil Nadu in the previous fortnight.
In a written submission, Tamil Nadu had on November 2 demanded that its shortfall of 52.5 tmc during the just-concluded South-West monsoon season be settled by the panel.
But the Committee refused to get into the issue as there was lack of consensus on period of the monsoon season. While the order does not mention how the dispute can be settled, sources in Karnataka inferred that the two states will have to approach the Supreme Court which is already hearing the two sides on Cauvery water sharing dispute.
During the previous fortnight, Karnataka was asked to release 4 tmc of water to Tamil Nadu.
On Supreme Court orders, the CMC had asked Tamil Nadu to make a written submission before the panel by November 2 on issues it wants to b addressed.
"We hereby direct CMC to examine all issues as may be raised on behalf of the states and make recommendations," a bench of justices D K Jain and J S Khehar had said in October.
The bench said both the states shall comply with all the recommendations made by the CMC in letter and spirit.
The Monitoring Committee consists of Union Water Resources Secretary as Chairperson, chief secretaries and chief engineers of the basin states and Chairman, Central Water Commission as members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm