Karnataka trust vote was `manufactured`: Congress
New Delhi: A day after the BJP government
in Karnataka won the trust vote, Congress on Friday alleged that
the entire episode was scripted in Delhi and "marketed" in
"The Karnataka verdict was manufactured in Delhi and
marketed in Bangalore by the Speaker," Congress spokesman
Manish Tewari told reporters here.
He alleged that the "majority was manufactured" in the
state as the total strength of the Assembly was brought down.
Tewari asked whether the state government had the moral
right to continue this way.
He said there could be adverse long term implications
for democracy if minority governments were turned into
manufactured majority, particularly in smaller states.
"The constitutional experts should seriously ponder over
this," he said.
The Congress leader said the membership of 16 MLAs was
"illegally" rejected and the Speaker "misused" his powers to
turn a minority government into a majority.
Asked about the role of Governor H R Bhardwaj and his
recommendation for a President`s rule, Tewari said he was not
aware of the report but defended the Governor.
"What could he have done given the kind of situation
which arose in the state," he said.
Tewari sidestepped questions whether the Congress would
demand for the imposition of President`s rule in the state,
saying it would wait for the verdict of the High Court on
disqualification of the MLAs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read