Karnataka: Yeddyurappa supporters step up campaign
Bangalore: With BJP central leadership commencing the exercise to appoint a new chief for the party`s Karnataka unit, supporters of former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa, a keen aspirant for the job, on Thursday stepped their campaign in support of their leader.
Supporters of Yeddyurappa today met at the residence of Public Works Minister CM Udasi and took stock of the developments and the thinking of the party high command over naming a successor to KS Eswarappa, who has joined the Jagadish Shettar ministry.
Udasi, refusing to divulge the details of discussions, held at his house, however said, "The issue of appointing new president will be decided by high command leaders and not me".
Eswarappa, participating in the BJP national executive underway at Surajkund in Haryana, has said the party would choose a new President for the state unit in a day or two.
Excise Minister MP Renukacharya, a hardcore supporter of Yeddyurappa, sought to raise the pitch saying the former chief minister was a "mass leader and should not be confined to lingayat community".
According to sources, at the meeting Yeddyurappa loyalists decided to tour various parts of the state to drum up people`s support for their leader.
Yeddyurappa, who has been sulking over being sidelined in the party after being forced to quit as chief minister last year, has boycotted the party national executive and is undergoing body rejuvenation treatment at the Art of Living Nature Cure Centre here.
With the BJP taking on the UPA on the issue of corruption, the central leadership is said to be not in favour of making Yeddyurappa, battling a spate of corruption cases, Karnataka unit president ahead of next year Assembly Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth