Karnataka: Yeddyurappa supporters step up campaign
Bangalore: With BJP central leadership commencing the exercise to appoint a new chief for the party`s Karnataka unit, supporters of former chief minister BS Yeddyurappa, a keen aspirant for the job, on Thursday stepped their campaign in support of their leader.
Supporters of Yeddyurappa today met at the residence of Public Works Minister CM Udasi and took stock of the developments and the thinking of the party high command over naming a successor to KS Eswarappa, who has joined the Jagadish Shettar ministry.
Udasi, refusing to divulge the details of discussions, held at his house, however said, "The issue of appointing new president will be decided by high command leaders and not me".
Eswarappa, participating in the BJP national executive underway at Surajkund in Haryana, has said the party would choose a new President for the state unit in a day or two.
Excise Minister MP Renukacharya, a hardcore supporter of Yeddyurappa, sought to raise the pitch saying the former chief minister was a "mass leader and should not be confined to lingayat community".
According to sources, at the meeting Yeddyurappa loyalists decided to tour various parts of the state to drum up people`s support for their leader.
Yeddyurappa, who has been sulking over being sidelined in the party after being forced to quit as chief minister last year, has boycotted the party national executive and is undergoing body rejuvenation treatment at the Art of Living Nature Cure Centre here.
With the BJP taking on the UPA on the issue of corruption, the central leadership is said to be not in favour of making Yeddyurappa, battling a spate of corruption cases, Karnataka unit president ahead of next year Assembly Elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists