Karnataka`s debt burden mounted to Rs 1.2 lakh crore: Congress
Bangalore: The Congress in Karnataka on Monday dismissed the state government`s contention that its financial status is sound, wondering as to how it was possible when the state`s debt burden mounted to Rs 1.2 lakh crore.
"The debt burden has gone up to Rs 1,20,000 crore now, from Rs 59,000 crore in 2005-06. How can they say the financial status is sound?" Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Assembly, Siddramaiah, said.
He accused the BJP government, which is completing its five-year tenure this May, of going in for more-than-required loans.
Earlier today, in his customary address to the joint session of the Assembly on the opening day of the budget session, Governor H R Bhardwaj had said the government`s financial status is very sound with tax revenues among the highest in the country, doubling in the past five years.
Siddaramaiah said in an election year the state government has made the Governor "tell only lies".
The Congress leader alleged the government has not addressed the drinking water shortage issue and that the statement of 4,593 MW of power generation capacity been added during the government`s tenure was a "lie".
Siddaramaiah said only 40 per cent of the budget announcements of 2012-13 fiscal have been implemented during the December-January period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?