Karnataka`s new Lokayukta mum on allegations
Bangalore: Former chief justice of Karnataka high court Y. Bhaskar Rao, who Thursday took over as the state`s Lokayukta (ombudsman), declined to respond to allegations that he had illegally obtained a house plot in Bangalore.
Rao, 75, was administered the oath of office at Raj Bhavan by Governor H.R. Bhardwaj, filling up the Lokayukta post that has been lying vacant for over 17 months.
Asked by reporters about the charge soon after he was administered the oath office, Rao declined to respond.
On his plans as Lokayukta, he said: "You will see it in course of time."
Karnataka`s chief justice between March 1999 and June 2000, Rao faces the same charge as his predecessor Shivaraj V. Patil, a former Supreme Court judge.
Patil quit as Lokayukta in September 2011, just a month after taking over following the row that he had acquired a house plot from Judicial Department Employees House Building Cooperative Society in violation of laws.
The Advocates Association of Bangalore (AAB) has been opposing Rao`s appointment on the ground that he too has got a house plot in the Judicial Department Employees House Building Cooperative Society in violation of laws.
Interacting with the media on the margins of the function, Bhardwaj said he has not received any allegation against Rao.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know