Karnataka`s new Lokayukta mum on allegations
Bangalore: Former chief justice of Karnataka high court Y. Bhaskar Rao, who Thursday took over as the state`s Lokayukta (ombudsman), declined to respond to allegations that he had illegally obtained a house plot in Bangalore.
Rao, 75, was administered the oath of office at Raj Bhavan by Governor H.R. Bhardwaj, filling up the Lokayukta post that has been lying vacant for over 17 months.
Asked by reporters about the charge soon after he was administered the oath office, Rao declined to respond.
On his plans as Lokayukta, he said: "You will see it in course of time."
Karnataka`s chief justice between March 1999 and June 2000, Rao faces the same charge as his predecessor Shivaraj V. Patil, a former Supreme Court judge.
Patil quit as Lokayukta in September 2011, just a month after taking over following the row that he had acquired a house plot from Judicial Department Employees House Building Cooperative Society in violation of laws.
The Advocates Association of Bangalore (AAB) has been opposing Rao`s appointment on the ground that he too has got a house plot in the Judicial Department Employees House Building Cooperative Society in violation of laws.
Interacting with the media on the margins of the function, Bhardwaj said he has not received any allegation against Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?