Karnataka`s new Lokayukta mum on allegations
Bangalore: Former chief justice of Karnataka high court Y. Bhaskar Rao, who Thursday took over as the state`s Lokayukta (ombudsman), declined to respond to allegations that he had illegally obtained a house plot in Bangalore.
Rao, 75, was administered the oath of office at Raj Bhavan by Governor H.R. Bhardwaj, filling up the Lokayukta post that has been lying vacant for over 17 months.
Asked by reporters about the charge soon after he was administered the oath office, Rao declined to respond.
On his plans as Lokayukta, he said: "You will see it in course of time."
Karnataka`s chief justice between March 1999 and June 2000, Rao faces the same charge as his predecessor Shivaraj V. Patil, a former Supreme Court judge.
Patil quit as Lokayukta in September 2011, just a month after taking over following the row that he had acquired a house plot from Judicial Department Employees House Building Cooperative Society in violation of laws.
The Advocates Association of Bangalore (AAB) has been opposing Rao`s appointment on the ground that he too has got a house plot in the Judicial Department Employees House Building Cooperative Society in violation of laws.
Interacting with the media on the margins of the function, Bhardwaj said he has not received any allegation against Rao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India