Khan welcomes Jaya`s suggestion for death penalty
Bangalore: Sarod maestro Amjad Ali Khan on Tuesday welcomed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s decision to request the Centre to make necessary changes in the law to provide death penalty to those involved in sexual harassment.
"I support Jayalalithaa and admire her decision to recommend death penalty for rapists, especially when the whole nation is appealing to the Centre for harsh punishment to the Delhi gangrape culprits," he told a news agency.
Expressing grief over the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim, Jayalalithaa today announced a 13-point action plan to ensure women`s safety and prevent incidents of sexual harassment.
"The Centre will be requested to amend the laws to ensure the maximum punishment of death penalty and chemical castration for those responsible for rapes. The offence should also be made non-bailable," Jayalalithaa had said in Chennai.
Khan said women in other countries were safe and protected but it was sad that rape incidents take place where people call the country "Bharat Maata".
"Inspite of this, we are unable to protect our maatas (mothers) and betis (daughters)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?