Khan welcomes Jaya`s suggestion for death penalty
Bangalore: Sarod maestro Amjad Ali Khan on Tuesday welcomed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s decision to request the Centre to make necessary changes in the law to provide death penalty to those involved in sexual harassment.
"I support Jayalalithaa and admire her decision to recommend death penalty for rapists, especially when the whole nation is appealing to the Centre for harsh punishment to the Delhi gangrape culprits," he told a news agency.
Expressing grief over the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim, Jayalalithaa today announced a 13-point action plan to ensure women`s safety and prevent incidents of sexual harassment.
"The Centre will be requested to amend the laws to ensure the maximum punishment of death penalty and chemical castration for those responsible for rapes. The offence should also be made non-bailable," Jayalalithaa had said in Chennai.
Khan said women in other countries were safe and protected but it was sad that rape incidents take place where people call the country "Bharat Maata".
"Inspite of this, we are unable to protect our maatas (mothers) and betis (daughters)," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India