Khan welcomes Jaya`s suggestion for death penalty
Bangalore: Sarod maestro Amjad Ali Khan on Tuesday welcomed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s decision to request the Centre to make necessary changes in the law to provide death penalty to those involved in sexual harassment.
"I support Jayalalithaa and admire her decision to recommend death penalty for rapists, especially when the whole nation is appealing to the Centre for harsh punishment to the Delhi gangrape culprits," he told a news agency.
Expressing grief over the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim, Jayalalithaa today announced a 13-point action plan to ensure women`s safety and prevent incidents of sexual harassment.
"The Centre will be requested to amend the laws to ensure the maximum punishment of death penalty and chemical castration for those responsible for rapes. The offence should also be made non-bailable," Jayalalithaa had said in Chennai.
Khan said women in other countries were safe and protected but it was sad that rape incidents take place where people call the country "Bharat Maata".
"Inspite of this, we are unable to protect our maatas (mothers) and betis (daughters)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you