KJP leader makes charges against Advani`s family
Bangalore: The verbal duel between BJP and the fledgling Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) turned nasty today with a key leader of the BS Yeddyurappa-led outfit making allegations against senior leader LK Advani`s children.
Kumar, the working President of KJP who had served as a minister under Atal Bihari Vajpayee, slammed Advani for asserting in election campaign meetings yesterday that BJP would not compromise on corruption.
Kumar accused the the former Deputy Prime Minister of "shielding" the corrupt and referred to BJP Ministers facing Lok Ayukta probe in Karnataka.
There has been a war of words between the BJP and KJP in recent days. The BJP has chosen to distance itself from the 38-month rule of Yeddyurappa, who headed BJP`s first government in south India from 2008 before being forced to quit on corruption charges.
BJP replied saying the party has become clean following the exit of Yeddyurappa and his supporters. Yeddyurappa has repeatedly vowed to decimate the BJP in the May five Assembly polls.
Kumar`s allegations drew sharp reaction from BJP leaders who dismissed them as baseless.
Party President Rajnath Singh, who was in Bellary today, said the allegations were baseless and even cognisance should not be taken note of them.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar said there is no truth or substance in the charge. Describing Advani as a "political saint", state BJP Persident Prahlad Joshi said attempts to tarnish the reputation would not work.
The state BJP has urged the Election Commission to take action against Kumar alleging violation of the election code by making false allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH