KJP rejects former founder claim, expels him from party
Bangalore: The fledgling Karnataka Janata Party (KJP) today witnessed power struggle after its former founder shot off a letter to the Election Commission removing incumbent president BS Yeddyurappa, a development described by KJP as a "conspiracy" by opposition parties.
Hours after copies of a communication addressed to the Election Commission by KJP founder President Padmanabha Prasanna, revoking Yeddyurappa`s nomination as party President, made its way into the press, the party expelled Prasanna from the primary membership.
"The reported expulsion of Yeddyurappa from KJP is far from truth", KJP General Secretary Rajendra Ghokale said in a statement here.
Ghokale said Prasanna had, in a letter to EC on January 17, stated that he has resigned as party President on November 9, 2012 and that V Dhananjaya Kumar was elected as the new President.
The Executive Committee held on December 1, 2012 and December 10, 2012 elected B S Yeddyurappa as the President.
The General Body that met on Dec 11, 2012 confirmed these appointments, he said and relased copies of letters to the press.
The EC in a letter to Prasanna on Jan 15 had rejected his claim for continuing as "main founder president" as there was no provision for the post in the KJP constitution.
However, Prasanna had in a letter to EC on Jan 3 stated that the party`s Emergency Executive Committee, which met on Dec 20, 2012, decided to revoke the decision to nominate Yeddyurappa as state unit presdient and he would retain the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Narsingh Yadav dope case: Grappler took banned substance intentionally, claims CAS
- New Hyundai Elantra launched in India: Know all about price, features
- Shocking! Indian surgeons remove 40 knives from cop's stomach (Watch)
- India in talks with Singapore to amend DTAA provisions: CBDT
- NSG chief reveals IED was found in DRDO Bhawan