KPCC seeks sanction to prosecute Kumaraswamy, MLAs on CD row
Bangalore: Legal cell of ruling Congress in Karnataka on Tuesday made a strong plea to state Assembly Speaker Kagodu Thimmappa, seeking sanction to prosecute former chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy and 39 other JDS MLAs on the cash-for-MLC seat audio CD row involving him.
Kumaraswamy is surrounded by a controversy after the release of the CD last week about him purportedly telling the supporters of MLC seat aspirant Vijugowda Patil, a JDS leader from Bijapur district, about the demand for money from his party MLAs.
"In our memorandum to the speaker we have requested for permission to prosecute Kumaraswamy and 39 other MLA`s under section 19 of the Prevention of Corruption Act," KPCC legal cell Chairman C M Dhananjay told reporters here.
He also noted that they were liable for punishment under section 7,12,13 and 15 of Prevention of Corruption Act.
Stating that a request had been made to seize the CD, Dhananjay said, "we have asked the Speaker to keep them (the MLAs) under suspension during the pendency of the inquiry."
He said an appeal has also been made to the Election Commission to take strict action against the MLAs under the relevant sections of the Representation of People`s Act.
In the CD whose clips were played on Kannada TV channels, Kumaraswamy, son of former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda, was purportedly heard telling the supporters of Patil, "Each MLA (of JDS) is asking for one crore. They are saying you make anybody the MLC..."
At another point, Kumaraswamy was heard saying, "40 people (JDS MLAs) are asking for 40 crore... This is my fate."
Kumaraswamy, who has defended himself saying he had only spoken about the harsh reality of politics, has already said that he is open to any kind of inquiry on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence