KPCC seeks sanction to prosecute Kumaraswamy, MLAs on CD row
Bangalore: Legal cell of ruling Congress in Karnataka on Tuesday made a strong plea to state Assembly Speaker Kagodu Thimmappa, seeking sanction to prosecute former chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy and 39 other JDS MLAs on the cash-for-MLC seat audio CD row involving him.
Kumaraswamy is surrounded by a controversy after the release of the CD last week about him purportedly telling the supporters of MLC seat aspirant Vijugowda Patil, a JDS leader from Bijapur district, about the demand for money from his party MLAs.
"In our memorandum to the speaker we have requested for permission to prosecute Kumaraswamy and 39 other MLA`s under section 19 of the Prevention of Corruption Act," KPCC legal cell Chairman C M Dhananjay told reporters here.
He also noted that they were liable for punishment under section 7,12,13 and 15 of Prevention of Corruption Act.
Stating that a request had been made to seize the CD, Dhananjay said, "we have asked the Speaker to keep them (the MLAs) under suspension during the pendency of the inquiry."
He said an appeal has also been made to the Election Commission to take strict action against the MLAs under the relevant sections of the Representation of People`s Act.
In the CD whose clips were played on Kannada TV channels, Kumaraswamy, son of former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda, was purportedly heard telling the supporters of Patil, "Each MLA (of JDS) is asking for one crore. They are saying you make anybody the MLC..."
At another point, Kumaraswamy was heard saying, "40 people (JDS MLAs) are asking for 40 crore... This is my fate."
Kumaraswamy, who has defended himself saying he had only spoken about the harsh reality of politics, has already said that he is open to any kind of inquiry on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition