K’taka bio centres to generate virus-free shoot tip culture
Bangalore: Karnataka Government is all set to establish four integrated horticulture biotechnology centres under a Central scheme at a cost of Rs 26.40 crore.
The centres, on lines of the one in Hulimavu near here, will come up in Bidar, Koppal, Shimoga and Mysore districts, Director of Horticulture N Jayaram told.
Each biotechnology centre will comprise a plant tissue culture laboratory that can generate virus-free shoot tip culture and produce uniform genuine quality planting material to get year round availability of planting material and pest and disease free plants.
This would benefit growers and farmers and nursery owners and improve rural employment. The crops which will be propagated through tissue culture laboratory include banana, anthurium, orchids, rare and endangered medicinal and aromatic plants and other high value traditional horticulture crops.
Among these banana is the most important fruit crop which is in good demand from state farmers, he said. The national demand for tissue culture banana plants rose to 66 million by 2007-08 from 22 million in 2003-04, a 25 per cent growth.
The centres will be set up under the Centrally sponsored Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana. .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read