K’taka bio centres to generate virus-free shoot tip culture
Bangalore: Karnataka Government is all set to establish four integrated horticulture biotechnology centres under a Central scheme at a cost of Rs 26.40 crore.
The centres, on lines of the one in Hulimavu near here, will come up in Bidar, Koppal, Shimoga and Mysore districts, Director of Horticulture N Jayaram told.
Each biotechnology centre will comprise a plant tissue culture laboratory that can generate virus-free shoot tip culture and produce uniform genuine quality planting material to get year round availability of planting material and pest and disease free plants.
This would benefit growers and farmers and nursery owners and improve rural employment. The crops which will be propagated through tissue culture laboratory include banana, anthurium, orchids, rare and endangered medicinal and aromatic plants and other high value traditional horticulture crops.
Among these banana is the most important fruit crop which is in good demand from state farmers, he said. The national demand for tissue culture banana plants rose to 66 million by 2007-08 from 22 million in 2003-04, a 25 per cent growth.
The centres will be set up under the Centrally sponsored Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana. .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation