K’taka: BJP Govt announces Rs 3,500 cr package for drought-hit farmers
Bangalore: In a major step to mitigate the sufferings of farmers reeling under worst drought in four decades in several parts of Karnataka, the government on Tuesday announced a Rs 3,500-crore package waiving farms loan up to Rs 25,000.
Farm loans taken from agriculture cooperative societies between August 1 last year and June 30, up to Rs 25,000 including interest would be waived, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar said replying to a debate on drought in the Assembly.
He said the state had not experienced such a "severe drought" in the past 40 years and added that to mitigate their suffering, the government has prepared the "special project".
"This would benefit 16 lakh farmers` families and for this, a grant of Rs 3,500 crore will be given," he said.
Shettar had submitted a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on July 17 seeking an immediate Central assistance of Rs 2,000 crore to tackle the situation.
In his first meeting with Singh after being sworn in chief minister earlier this month, Shettar also demanded that a Study Team be sent to the state to assess the latest situation and release interim relief.
He had told Singh that due to failure of monsoon in 2011, 123 taluks under 24 districts were declared drought-affected and the situation extended beyond the monsoon season of 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what