K`taka: BJP MLA decides to quit
Bangalore: Upset over being denied a ministerial berth, ruling BJP MLA Halady Srinivasa Shetty Friday announced his decision to resign from the Assembly.
A three-time MLA and a popular leader of Udupi District, Shetty told reporters here that "heeding" to the calls by his followers and voters of his Kundapur constituency he had decided to resign as MLA.
Irate followers of Shetty yesterday held protest marches in Kundapura, Halady, Hebri regions of the district after Shetty, whose name was doing rounds for the post of minister, was not included in the in the ministry headed by Jagadish Shettar.
Shetty said he spoke to Assembly Speaker K G Bopaiah over phone today and wanted to personally hand over his resignation letter.
Bopaiah, counselling patience, told him that he was away in his home district Kodagu, the MLA said but added he was firm on his decision to quit and would submit it to the Speaker`s Office.
Meanwhile, people in Kundapur observed a bandh protesting against the "ill-treatment" meted out to their MLA after inviting him to swearing-in ceremony yesterday. His supporters staged a road blockade disrupting traffic.
Barring state run KSRTC buses, all vehicles remained off the road and shops and business establishments downed shutters in Kundapur, according to reports received here.
Mudigere MLA, M P Kumaraswamy has also expressed his displeasure over the party denying him the ministerial berth.
Shettar was sworn in yesterday heading a 34-member ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India