K’taka: Black flag demo held against Speaker
Bangalore: Four independent MLAs in Karnataka
Assembly continued their protest against Speaker KG Bopaiah
for the fourth straight day on Thursday demanding his resignation in
the wake of the Supreme Court setting aside his order
disqualifying them in 2010 ahead of a trust vote.
As soon as the assembly commenced its sitting for the day,
MLAs PM Narendraswamy, Goolihatti Shekar, Venkataramanappa
and Shivaraj Tangadai, sporting black bands, trooped into the
Well of the House and raised slogans against Bopaiah.
Bopaiah, who kept himself away from the House yesterday,
returned today and was greeted with slogans by the MLAs: "You
have no right to sit in this chair and conduct proceedings.
You should quit."
An angry Bopaiah threatened to expel them from the House if
they continued the protest and was seen requesting the
Treasury benches to move a resolution naming the protesters.
"You have thrown the rules of the House to winds and
creating trouble", Bopaiah said voicing his displeasure over
the continuing protests.
Opposition Congress leader Siddaramaiah, in a quick
response, remarked "without rules you had disqualified them.
They have every right to protest the decision. They have
"Let them give a notice under rules, I will allow them
to speak", was the reply by Bopaiah, who refused permission to
the MLAs to air their views following which they walked out.
Meanwhile, the Congress which had staged a dharna in the
House demanding the Speaker`s resignation, called it off
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH