K’taka CM calls all-party meet on Cauvery issue
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar has convened an all-party meeting on Friday to discuss sharing of Cauvery water with Tamil Nadu after the two states rejected the solution brokered by Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh to resolve the contentious issue.
The all-party meet is expected to be attended by floor leaders in the Karnataka Assembly, including Opposition Congress leader in the House, Siddaramaiah, Opposition leader in the Council R Patil, JD (S) leaders MC Nanaiah and HD Revanna and others.
Shettar had walked out of the Cauvery River Authority (CRA) meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi on Thursday after the state was asked to release water to Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa also pledged to take the Cauvery water sharing row to the Supreme Court after the meeting failed to produce a solution.
During the meeting held in the national capital yesterday, both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu rejected Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s award of 9000 cusecs of water to save standing crops in the delta region.
Karnataka Chief Minister yesterday met Governor HR Bhardwaj and briefed him about the CRA meeting and the state’s stand on the issue. During the meeting, Shettar told the Governor that Karnataka is unable to release water to Tamil Nadu on a daily basis.
It may be recalled that following the Supreme Court (SC) direction, the state had released 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu till September 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella India visit: Talks of transformative role of apps and services to come
- MEA official meets deceased Congolese national's family
- Good news for Rail Passengers! No service charge on ticket booked through card from June 1
- Japan keen to invest in India’s infrastructure growth story: Finance Minister
- People have figured out: Liam Hemsworth on reunion with Miley