K’taka crisis: Guv asks Shettar to prove majority by Feb 4
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj was on Friday asked the Jagadish Shettar led BJP government in the state to prove majority on the floor of the House by February 04.
The Governor’s directive came after the state government was reduced to minority following the revolt 13 MLAs loyal to former CM BS Yeddyurappa.
Chief Minister Shettar had met the Governor today and claimed that he had the numbers and could prove his majority in the house.
The 13 MLAs had planned to quit their Assembly membership but were left in the lurch as the Speaker is away from the country on a foreign tour.
The agitated MLAs rushed to the Raj Bhavan complaining to Bhardwaj about Bopaiah’s absence in spite of being told in advance about their decision to submit their resignations, a move aimed at pushing the Jagadish Shettar government into a crisis.
The MLAs, including CM Udasi and Shobha Karandlaje who quit as ministers, were taken aback when they were told Bopaiah was on tour while Assembly Secretary P Omprakasha was also not available.
Following the complaint, Governor Bhardwaj had shot off a letter to the Assembly Secretariat seeking details of the presiding officer’s tour.
The 13 MLAs have, meanwhile, sent their resignation letters to Bopaiah through e-mail and requested him to accept them by January 27 or 28.
Nehru Olekar, Haveri MLA, said the group was contemplating to move a habeas corpus petition before the state High Court in a couple of days to trace the Speaker.
The MLAs’ resignation bid was seen as part of Yeddyurappa’s game plan to push the BJP government into a crisis and threaten its stability before Shettar could present the Budget on February 8, the last before the Assembly Elections due in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in