K’taka govt action extra-ordinary, says Hegde
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Lokayukta
Justice Santosh Hegde on Friday dismissed as "extra-ordinary and
absolutely frivolous" the grounds on which the BJP government
decided to seek reconsideration of his report on illegal
mining as the head of the anti-corruption watchdog.
Speaking to reporters here, Hegde, a former Supreme Court
judge, saw the Government move as one aimed at "delaying" (the
"The reasons given by the government are rather
extraordinary", he said, adding they are "absolutely
frivolous" and appeared to be "layman`s excuses".
The state cabinet had yesterday decided to seek the views
of the (yet-to-be-named) Lokayukta whether the July 27 report
submitted by Hegde as the then Lokayukta is in compliance with
law, particularly with reference to principles of natural
The BJP government`s contention is that the then Chief
Minister BS Yeddyurappa and the then Ministers and mining
magnates from Bellary -- G Janardhan Reddy, G Karunakara Reddy
and B Sriramulu, who have been indicted in Hegde`s findings,
were not heard before the report was prepared.
Yeddyurappa resigned in the wake of his indictment.
Hegde asked why the government did not reject his report
if it indeed violated constitutional provisions and principles
of natural justice.
The reasons cited by the government gave an impression
that he does not know law, applied law unfairly and he had
malice towards the government. "If they reject, (public)
reaction will be different. That`s why they are delaying".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- I have made many fashion blunders: Karisma Kapoor
- Hyundai to bring hybrids to India by next year
- Los Angeles Police say reports of gunfire at airport were false alarm, 'Zorro' detained
- Happy Birthday Dhyan Chand: 10 interesting facts you must know about India's hockey legend
- AAP-Sheila Dikshit trying to suppress Rs 400 crore water tanker scam: BJP