K`taka govt decides to appoint AR Infant as DGP
Bangalore: Karnataka government on Saturday decided to appoint AR Infant as Director General of Police following the High Court`s verdict which had struck down the appointment of Shankar Bidari as state DGP and IG.
"Chief Minister DV Sadananda Gowda had a meeting with senior officers and we decided to give charge to AR Infant as DGP of Karnataka", Home Minister R Asoka told reporters here.
However, the government would move the Supreme Court against the High Court verdict, as it has to protect the interests of the state, he said.
"Since the appointment of the DGP comes under the state government, we have told our Advocate General to appeal in Supreme Court", Asoka said.
The High Court had yesterday dismissed the writ petitions filed by the state government and Bidari challenging the Central Administrative Tribunal order as "without merit and substance" and held his empanelment by UPSC and consequent appointment as "void and illegal."
The court had also directed the state government to relieve Bidari forthwith and appoint AR Infant in his place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre