K’taka govt wants to ban "made snana"
Bangalore: Karnataka Government is moving in the
direction of banning the "made snana",a ritual of rolling by
lower caste people on plantain leaves left by Brahmins after
partaking lunch in some temples, Minister for Religious
Endowments V S Acharya told the state assembly.
"The issues pertain to a belief of people.It is being
practised for more than 500 years.It cannot be banned
forcibly. We have to educate people. The government is moving
in this direction to ban the practice", Acharya said when
opposition Congress sought a ban on the practice.
Acharya said three types of `made snana` are being
practised in the state and added "this year also the
government made efforts to ban it in Kukke Subramanya temple
in Dakshina Kannada district, but was forced to allow it in
the wake of protests against the ban."
Hitting back at Congress Deputy Leader T B Jayachandra,
who criticised the BJP government`s failure to end the
"obnoxious" practice,Acharya said "the country got
independence 64 years ago.Congress ruled the state for about
60 years. Why Congress governments did not think of banning
`Made Snana` is an annual ritual held in Kukke Subramanya
temple and at another temple in Pavagada taluk of Tumkur
The House later passed The Karnataka Hindu Religious
Institutions and Charitable Endowments (2nd Amendment) Bill,
2011 which seeks to remove certain difficulties faced in
implementing the provisions of the Act enacted in 1997 and to
omit certain overlapping provisions in the act.
The JDS staged a dharna for a brief while and later walked
out after the Speaker rejected its demand for deferring the
passage of the bill to February six as its members wanted to
offer their suggestions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks