K’taka govt wants to ban "made snana"
Bangalore: Karnataka Government is moving in the
direction of banning the "made snana",a ritual of rolling by
lower caste people on plantain leaves left by Brahmins after
partaking lunch in some temples, Minister for Religious
Endowments V S Acharya told the state assembly.
"The issues pertain to a belief of people.It is being
practised for more than 500 years.It cannot be banned
forcibly. We have to educate people. The government is moving
in this direction to ban the practice", Acharya said when
opposition Congress sought a ban on the practice.
Acharya said three types of `made snana` are being
practised in the state and added "this year also the
government made efforts to ban it in Kukke Subramanya temple
in Dakshina Kannada district, but was forced to allow it in
the wake of protests against the ban."
Hitting back at Congress Deputy Leader T B Jayachandra,
who criticised the BJP government`s failure to end the
"obnoxious" practice,Acharya said "the country got
independence 64 years ago.Congress ruled the state for about
60 years. Why Congress governments did not think of banning
`Made Snana` is an annual ritual held in Kukke Subramanya
temple and at another temple in Pavagada taluk of Tumkur
The House later passed The Karnataka Hindu Religious
Institutions and Charitable Endowments (2nd Amendment) Bill,
2011 which seeks to remove certain difficulties faced in
implementing the provisions of the Act enacted in 1997 and to
omit certain overlapping provisions in the act.
The JDS staged a dharna for a brief while and later walked
out after the Speaker rejected its demand for deferring the
passage of the bill to February six as its members wanted to
offer their suggestions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs