K’taka govt wants to ban "made snana"
Bangalore: Karnataka Government is moving in the
direction of banning the "made snana",a ritual of rolling by
lower caste people on plantain leaves left by Brahmins after
partaking lunch in some temples, Minister for Religious
Endowments V S Acharya told the state assembly.
"The issues pertain to a belief of people.It is being
practised for more than 500 years.It cannot be banned
forcibly. We have to educate people. The government is moving
in this direction to ban the practice", Acharya said when
opposition Congress sought a ban on the practice.
Acharya said three types of `made snana` are being
practised in the state and added "this year also the
government made efforts to ban it in Kukke Subramanya temple
in Dakshina Kannada district, but was forced to allow it in
the wake of protests against the ban."
Hitting back at Congress Deputy Leader T B Jayachandra,
who criticised the BJP government`s failure to end the
"obnoxious" practice,Acharya said "the country got
independence 64 years ago.Congress ruled the state for about
60 years. Why Congress governments did not think of banning
`Made Snana` is an annual ritual held in Kukke Subramanya
temple and at another temple in Pavagada taluk of Tumkur
The House later passed The Karnataka Hindu Religious
Institutions and Charitable Endowments (2nd Amendment) Bill,
2011 which seeks to remove certain difficulties faced in
implementing the provisions of the Act enacted in 1997 and to
omit certain overlapping provisions in the act.
The JDS staged a dharna for a brief while and later walked
out after the Speaker rejected its demand for deferring the
passage of the bill to February six as its members wanted to
offer their suggestions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie