K`taka Guv demands action against rumour mongering
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj on Saturday expressed satisfaction over the confidence building measures initiated by the state government to check exodus of Northeast people from the state and demanded that stern action be taken against rumour mongers.
"The government should ascertain the root cause for the exodus and bring to book mischievous elements who spread rumours that the northeast people would be attacked," he told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Bhardwaj appealed to people of the Northeast not to flee the city as the government has taken steps to protect them. "I appeal to Northeast people not to flee the city. The government has taken steps to provide protection to the community in the state," he said.
Bhardwaj said they should not harbour any fears about their safety in Karnataka.
Meanwhile, a team of officials led by Arunachal Pradesh MP Takam Sanjoy met Home Minister R Ashok and assessed the situation here.
Sanjoy said the violence in Assam had created fear and apprehension among North Easterners here that they would be attacked, but such fear was unfounded.
A delegation of Karnataka unit of Congress led by its President G Parameshwara submitted a memorandum to Governor H R Bhardwaj and sought directions to the BJP Government to check exodus of North-East people.
In the memorandum, the Congress lashed out at the state government accusing it of "failing" at every step in giving good governance.
"BJP as a party with their internal problem are extending their unrest to the unfortunate citizens", it said and also pointed out to recent attack on boys and girls of Home Stay in Mangalore and atleast 15 murders that took place in a span of ten days in Bangalore.
"It is a politically motivated act of fear psychosis created by vested political party with an eye on the upcoming election in Assam", the Congress alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth