K`taka Guv demands action against rumour mongering
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj on Saturday expressed satisfaction over the confidence building measures initiated by the state government to check exodus of Northeast people from the state and demanded that stern action be taken against rumour mongers.
"The government should ascertain the root cause for the exodus and bring to book mischievous elements who spread rumours that the northeast people would be attacked," he told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Bhardwaj appealed to people of the Northeast not to flee the city as the government has taken steps to protect them. "I appeal to Northeast people not to flee the city. The government has taken steps to provide protection to the community in the state," he said.
Bhardwaj said they should not harbour any fears about their safety in Karnataka.
Meanwhile, a team of officials led by Arunachal Pradesh MP Takam Sanjoy met Home Minister R Ashok and assessed the situation here.
Sanjoy said the violence in Assam had created fear and apprehension among North Easterners here that they would be attacked, but such fear was unfounded.
A delegation of Karnataka unit of Congress led by its President G Parameshwara submitted a memorandum to Governor H R Bhardwaj and sought directions to the BJP Government to check exodus of North-East people.
In the memorandum, the Congress lashed out at the state government accusing it of "failing" at every step in giving good governance.
"BJP as a party with their internal problem are extending their unrest to the unfortunate citizens", it said and also pointed out to recent attack on boys and girls of Home Stay in Mangalore and atleast 15 murders that took place in a span of ten days in Bangalore.
"It is a politically motivated act of fear psychosis created by vested political party with an eye on the upcoming election in Assam", the Congress alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'