K`taka HC drops contempt case against advocate
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court Wednesday dropped contempt proceedings against advocate Sirajin Basha following his tendering an unconditional apology regarding hearing of a plea filed by former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa seeking quashing of land denotification cases filed by Basha against him.
A Division Bench dropped the contempt proceedings after he Basha tendered an unconditional apoplogy for filing an affidavit in connection with the petition which was being heard by Justice B S Patil in October last, stating that he was hurt by the remarks made by the court against him and that the matter be heard by any other judge.
Justice Patil had then recused himself from hearing the petition.
Basha`s advocate, Hashmath Pasha, also sought to retire from the case on the ground that Basha had filed the affidavit without his (Pasha?s) knowledge. The court had allowed the prayer.
On October 15 last, Justice Patil objected to some contentions in Basha`s affidavit.
Referring to the charge that he had not been given an opportunity to present his case despite filing a caveat, the judge said caveat had nothing to do with the present case. He noted that the caveat pertained to the matter before the Division Bench.
"We have to protect purity in administration of Justice. He claims himself to be an advocate in the High Court. Is this in the interest of the law? Can he stoop to this level and file an affidavit? Today he (Basha) might say no. Tomorrow others will join him in bench hunting. I will be failing in delivering my duties,? Justice Patil had said.
Taking serious note of "factually incorrect" statements in the affidavit, the Court had directed the Registry to initiate contempt proceedings against the complainant.
The Division bench headed by Justice Dilip B Bhosale dropped the contempt proceedings against Basha today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda