K`taka HC drops contempt case against advocate
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court Wednesday dropped contempt proceedings against advocate Sirajin Basha following his tendering an unconditional apology regarding hearing of a plea filed by former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa seeking quashing of land denotification cases filed by Basha against him.
A Division Bench dropped the contempt proceedings after he Basha tendered an unconditional apoplogy for filing an affidavit in connection with the petition which was being heard by Justice B S Patil in October last, stating that he was hurt by the remarks made by the court against him and that the matter be heard by any other judge.
Justice Patil had then recused himself from hearing the petition.
Basha`s advocate, Hashmath Pasha, also sought to retire from the case on the ground that Basha had filed the affidavit without his (Pasha?s) knowledge. The court had allowed the prayer.
On October 15 last, Justice Patil objected to some contentions in Basha`s affidavit.
Referring to the charge that he had not been given an opportunity to present his case despite filing a caveat, the judge said caveat had nothing to do with the present case. He noted that the caveat pertained to the matter before the Division Bench.
"We have to protect purity in administration of Justice. He claims himself to be an advocate in the High Court. Is this in the interest of the law? Can he stoop to this level and file an affidavit? Today he (Basha) might say no. Tomorrow others will join him in bench hunting. I will be failing in delivering my duties,? Justice Patil had said.
Taking serious note of "factually incorrect" statements in the affidavit, the Court had directed the Registry to initiate contempt proceedings against the complainant.
The Division bench headed by Justice Dilip B Bhosale dropped the contempt proceedings against Basha today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city