K`taka HC forms core committee to tackle child marriage
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Wednesday constituted a four-member core committee headed by former
Supreme Court Judge Shivraj Patil to tackle the menace
of child marriage.
Disposing of a PIL seeking directions to prevent child
marriages in the State, a Division Bench, comprising Chief
Justice J S Khehar and Justice A S Bopanna, formed a
four-member committee to look into issues pertaining to the
Secretary, Department of Revenue, Secretary, Women and
Child Welfare and Chair Person, Child Rights Committee will be
As per the High Court directions, the office of the core
committee will be attached to the revenue department. The
Chairman will be paid transportation and renumeration and all
the issues related to the Child marriage menace will be
addressed by the committee.
During the earlier hearing following the High Court
direction, the petitioners and the State Government
(Government advocate and Department for Women and Child
Welfare) had been asked to submit a list of experts and had
submitted a list of 16 members.
However, the bench had directed to restrict the members
to four with chairman being a retired Judge.
The Bench had expressed shock over the prevalence of the
century-old evil practice of child marriages.
"The marriage is being thrust upon the young girls and
unfortunately many people encourage such practices. We haven`t seen more atrocities than this," Chief Justice Khehar had said.
The petitioners have submitted that child marriage is
seen as part of the culture and unless people volunteer and
come together to act against the practice it can`t be
They contended that the child marriage will adversely
affect the future of a young girl, her education and may
lead to maternal mortality.
They alleged that the government`s decision to subsidise
mass marriages has been "misused" by people, where children
are married in groups in presence of political leaders.
The PIL was filed by by Muthamma and Boodiayya, residents of Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends