K`taka HC pulls up BBMP for inaction against illegal constructions
corporation, Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike, for its inaction against illegal constructions.
A division bench headed by Justice D V Shylendra Kumar rapped the BBMP for not initiating any action against illegal constructions which were coming up everyday in the city.
The court was hearing a PIL against former Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda accusing him of illegally constructing a commercial complex in a residential layout here.
"BBMP means corruption," the court observed and adjourned the petition by two weeks for the respondents to file their objections to it.
The petition filed in August last year, by a journalist and social worker, Nagalakshmi Bai, had accused Gowda of violating laws to build a five-storey commercial complex on a residential plot.
The Bangalore Development Authority had allotted a 5,000 sq ft plot to Gowda in 2006. Another plot, next to that of Gowda, was allotted to BJP MLA D N Jeevaraj.
Gowda allegedly "amalgamated" both the plots without the Bangalore Development Authority`s approval, the PIL said.
The High Court had then initially rapped the petitioner, saying the PIL appeared to be "politically motivated" and "publicity-driven" as it was filed days after Gowda became the chief minister.
The court had also asked the petitioner to furnish documents to substantiate the argument. When the matter came up again on September 20 last year, the High Court had deferred it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony