K`taka HC stays proceedings against HD Revanna
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Thursday stayed further proceedings in a private complaint alleging illegal land denotification in which former Minister H D Revanna was the second accused.
Justice K Govindarajulu stayed further proceedings when a criminal petition filed by Revanna, second son of former Prime Minister H D Devegowda seeking quashing proceedings against him in the complaint filed by BJP Yuva Morcha Member Secretary Ravi Kumar before the Lokayukta court came up before him.
Revanna had also sought quashing the subsequent order of probe against him by the Lokayukta court on April 16.
On April 7, Ravi Kumar filed the complaint against former Chief Minister N Dharam Singh, Revanna, Kavita Balakrishna, wife of H D Balakrishna, another son former Devegowda and others for illegal denotification of government land for "pecuniary gain".
Apart from Dharam Singh, Revanna and Kavita, 10 other land owners are accused in the case.
Senior Counsel Hazmath Pasha representing Revanna argued that Revanna was not a "party to the denotification process at all" and submitted that it was his sister-in-law, Kavita Balakrishna who purchased the land from the landowner.
"Merely because his sister-in-law purchased the denotified land, he (Revanna) cannot be made party to it", Pasha submitted and therefore contended that the proceedings against him ordered by the Loakyukta court were liable to be quashed.
Ravi Kumar in his complaint charged Dharam Singh, now Congress MP from Bidar, of illegally denotifying 10.17 acres of land in Uttarahalli, Bangalore North Taluk, allocated for formation of Banashankari 6th stage by Bangalore Development Authority, on Oct 5, 2005 when he was the Chief Minister.
He alleged that out of this 10 acres, 17 guntas (one gunta is about 1,086 square feet), 2 acres 20 guntas was sold to Kavita Balakrishna for Rs 50 lakh for which the sale deed was executed on December 9, 2005. Kavita in turn sold this land to Sobha evelopers on August 1, 2006 for Rs 4 crore.
On the same day, the remaining land was also sold to Sobha Developers by the land owners for a whopping sum, he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!